Tuesday 24 August 2010

West Wittering Surfing

On Monday 23 August, I was running late for the Monday training session, however a good surf forecast appeared on MagicSeaWeed, so I decided to try out West Wittering:
Morning all and what a good start to the week! Its sunny(ish) and there is finally surf. The shore break challenge is on!! high tide is at 12 and there are messy waves at around 2 foot.

MSW was indicating a 5 foot surf prediction, with a strong onshore wind. Low tide was about 6PM. I arrived in Jolliffe Road at 8PM, just as a number of windsurfers were leaving. It was the first time I'd been to West Wittering, and was relieved to discover the groynes were out of the water with the tide being so low. The surf height only appeared to be 2 or 3 foot, although that was enough to have fun on.

I took a playboat (SuperFun) and found it quite, erm, interesting, to surf. It was hard going getting away from shore, since the waves are frequent. I did get a few good, long runs, although I had to be very careful with my body positioning. I found I needed to lean forward to catch the wave, but then the nose would start to dive, and I needed to lean back enough to get the nose back up, then lean forward a bit again. With careful balancing and corrective strokes, I was able to sit on the foam pile and enjoy the ride.

Last time I did any proper kayak surfing was at Bude 2 years ago, on this occasion I found the edge control much easier; having experience of river-wave-surfing at Hurley and the Nene has undoubtedly helped with this.

It was a good 45 minutes on the water, considering I've been wanting to get on there for about 2 years now!

No comments:

Post a Comment